It’s Football Season – Where Are You Going to Watch Your Team?
As an avid football nut and Green Bay “Cheesehead”, I travel with some other Green Bay Packers fans to a certified “Packers bar” on Bay Street in Savannah, Georgia. Deep in the Historic District lies a pub that doesn’t hide its team allegiance. Walking in, you’d think you’re up north in Wisconsin! All patrons are adorned in green and gold, with Clay Matthews, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and of course Aaron Rodgers jerseys among others. Besides the typical game jerseys, there’s limited addition jerseys, t-shirts of every Packers variety, ball caps, earrings, and the most adorable little girl in a pink Clay Matthews #52 jersey and pink tutu sitting with a leggy blonde woman wearing a camo-lettered #52 jersey and lime green tutu. Packers memorabilia line the walls. The atmosphere is contagious as long as you are not a Chicago Bears fan! Or just completely immune to the American football fever that grips the majority of men in America and an increasingly growing number of women.
Week One has come to a close in the 2015 NFL season. You may be packing up and heading to Hilton Head Island for a fall or winter vacation this year. Even if you’re not prone to religious football watching, you may have at least one in your traveling party that has the fever. I’ve done some research for you in advance. Did you know there are many “fan headquarters” for specific football teams – both college and NFL – on Hilton Head and in the area?
Check the list below to see if your favorite football team (or husband or son’s football team) is listed as having a fan headquarters to watch the game with other likeminded fans. If not, at the bottom of the list, I’ve included some sports bars that have multi-screens, good food and atmosphere to go enjoy the game.
Some of the fan centers listed below cater to multiple game viewing on a given college football Saturday or NFL Sunday. Then there are the others like Mangiamos, Bomboras and JJ Bonerz… you’ll be seeing a sea of red and white at Mangiamos, orange and black at Bomboras and green and yellow at JJ Bonerz. Whatever the viewing experience you want while vacationing on the island, we’ve got it.
Fan centers sports bars/restaurants:
- Bomboras Grille, Hilton Head – Cinncinati Bengals
- Guisseppi’s Pizza, Hilton Head and Bluffton – Pittsburg Steelers
- Street Meat, Hilton Head – Cleveland Browns
- Mangiamo’s, Hilton Head – Ohio State University
- Reilleys, South End, Hilton Head – University of SC Gamecocks and New England Patriots
- Reilleys, North End, Hilton Head – University of Nebraska Cornhuskers
- Callahans Sports Bar, Hilton Head – Michigan State Spartans, Pittsburg Steelers and Philedelphia Eagles
- New York City Pizza, Shelter Cove, Hilton Head – USC Gamecocks
- Okatie Ale House, Okatie – Penn State Nittany Lions and New York Giants
- Casey’s Sports Bar & Grill, Hilton Head – Pittsburg Steelers
- Jump & Phils, Hilton Head – Green Bay Packers
- JJ Bonerz-, Wisconsin Badgers, Green Bay Packers
- Mellow Mushroom, Hilton Head – University of Michigan Wolverines
There are several other local sports bars/restaurants worth mentioning, that also cater to the American football frenzy island yearly. Good grub, beer and multiple television screens broadcasting whomever your favorite team or team matchup of the day are never far away!
- Wild Wings, Hilton Head
- Wild Wings, Bluffton
- Fat Baby’s Pizza and Subs, Hilton Head
- The Lodge, Hilton Head
- One Hot Mama’s, Hilton Head
- Mellow Mushroom, Bluffton
If there’s one you’ve discovered during a trip to the Hilton Head area, drop me a line and let me know about it! Between Hilton Head, Bluffton, Savannah and Beaufort there’s no shortage of restaurant/sports bar choices to watch your not-to-be-missed college or pro football game.