The Recreation Intern will assist the Recreation Coordinators and Supervisors during onsite recreational programs for Resort guests, representing a diverse demographic population. The Recreation Intern will act in support of the Recreation Coordinators, assisting them in running all recreation programs and interacting with guests. This role will be required to work with Coordinators or Supervisors and within a team environment. As support for the Coordinators, this role will also be responsible for carrying out specifically assigned tasks to aid Coordinators in the execution of producing programs and activities for guests.
These duties may include, but are not limited to: setting up areas for programs with the appropriate supplies and equipment per the program’s direction outline, assist in the maintenance and cleaning of recreational equipment, bikes, inner tubes, fishing gear, other items and see to the general cleanliness and organization of the pool deck, dock areas, department storage areas, and activities rooms and cabanas. The Recreation Intern will also interact with Resort guests daily during their duties engaging in general conversation and assisting them as needed with basic requests or information per the direct oversight of the Recreation Coordinators and their direct Supervisors as well.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Recreation staff with creating quality recreational programs, events, or experiences for resort guests.
- Interact and work cooperatively with other corporate teams.
- Answers guests’ questions and redirects other questions to the proper department.
- General knowledge of overall resorts operations.
- Keep and maintain accurate records and inventories.
- Engage in physical activities such as walking, bike riding, and water games and under direct supervision of coordinator or supervisor as needed.
- Actively grow breadth of knowledge in a variety of areas of local interest.
- Serve food for food and ice cream events.
- Work up to 40 hour work week, overtime as needed.
- Assist in the execution of basic recreational programs and activities including, but not limited to: Arts and Crafts, Nature Walks, Area History Presentations, Pool Games, Sand Castle Building, Sundae Making, Camp Counselor, Event Set-up and Tear Down, Carnival Games, Crabbing and Net Casting, etc.
- Conducting yourself professionally at all times.
- Be accessible to guests and other departments at all times.
- Present a professional appearance.
- Uphold the department’s standards of practice in conducting all programs or actions.
- Keep all department areas including pool deck, dock areas, crafts rooms, sports courts, cabanas, and community areas tidy and organized.
- Be cognizant of company policies concerning:
- The reserving of pool amenities
- Non-resident owners
- Wristbands during the intense scheduling period
- Pool and deck safety (clowning around, horseplay, and glass/food on decks)
- Kayak operations
- Fishing and crabbing regulations in accordance to state and regional laws and ordinances
- Securing amenities for adverse weather conditions.
- Following all corporate standard operating policies including specified breaks and/or lunches.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must possess excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week, as well as overtime as requested.
- Ability to provide your own transportation to and from work sites.
- Must possess a dedicated work ethic.
- Must be team-oriented and must be able to take direct instruction productively.
- Must possess exemplary communication skills, including: the ability to memorize script, present information to large groups and lead discussions and spontaneous conversations.
- Must be able to work in varying outdoor weather conditions.
Optional Skills a Plus:
- Candidates currently pursuing or possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation and Tourism Management, Hospitality Management, Business Administration and/or a related field.