Caleb’s Top 10 on Hilton Head
My top 10 must-see, must-do on Hilton Head Island:
1. Burkes Beach – Just on the other side of Chaplin Park, this beach offers the intersection of a tidal creek and the ocean. At high tide, the beach is small and private. At low tide, the sand is vast and great for finding shells, starfish, and other beach comber treasures. During high tide, the creek offers a six foot deep pool for swimming and a steep bank for jumping in!
2. Harbour Town in Sea Pines – Harbour Town features many shops and restaurants alongside one of the largest yacht basins on the island. The famous HHI Lighthouse is also here featuring a full history of the area as you climb the 114 steps to the top. At the top you see the best views of HHI and Daufuskie Island. As well, you’re gazing out on the Atlantic Ocean and can see Tybee, GA! Park yourself at the patio bar of the Quarterdeck and enjoy the views of million dollar yachts coming and going all day long.
3. Pirate Cruise – If you have little ones, this is a fun and different activity that will provide life long memories. Board an authentic pirate ship “The Black Dagger” in Harbour Town and voyage the high seas as you battle rival pirates and the perils of the sea. Come back a swash buckling vagrant with your own pirate hat and sword!
4. ZipLine Aerial Adventures– Fly through the tree tops and over the marshland and you see the island from a whole new perspective. Unlike other zip line courses, you will not just ride one long line until you finally reach the bottom. Here you will ride a little, detach from the line, walk through some nature and see some wildlife, then re-attach and ride some more. Much more than zip line, it’s an aerial adventure!
5. Tiki Hut –Beach front bar located just to the right of the Coligny public beach when walking along the beach. This bar features live music most evenings as well as a full moon party during the full moon. The full moon parties feature a large dance floor, fire dancers and some of the best beach bar views on the island.
6. HHI Jetpack – Ever want to know what being superman feels like? Fly high over the waters of the Broad Creek just out of Shelter Cove on a water jet pack that lifts you to new heights with the power of water. You always have control of your jetpack as you cruise at about 30 feet.
7. “Bar”muda Triangle – The best place to “get lost” in nightlife on the island. This grouping of bars feature six bars and restaurants that feature everything from the chill leather couches of the Boardroom to the raging dance floors of One Hot Mama’s. Don’t miss the Tater Tots from the Lodge – definitely a local favorite!
8. The Skull Creek Boat House – This local favorite on Skull Creek features a vast menu, plenty of outdoor seating with the best sunset views on the island. Enjoy the hustle and bustle of Skull Creek Marina and Dry Dock as they drive boats from storage to the creek on a massive crane. The menu is best for a picky family featuring everything from fresh seafood to sushi and on to pastas and steaks! Be sure to arrive early as the outside patio fills up quick for the beautiful sunset!
9. Tuesdays at Shelter Cove – During the peak summer months enjoy a firework show every Tuesday on Broad Creek. The show is accompanied by live family friendly music from Shannon Tanner who has performed at Harbour Fest for 26 years! After the show head on over to Shelter Cove Towne Centre for some excellent eateries and boutique shopping. This is a great area to spend a day shopping, eating, and playing at the newly constructed Shelter Cove Community Park.
10. Outside Hilton Head – Located on the Harbor of Shelter Cove, Outside Hilton Head offers everything from Kayaking and Paddle boarding to Fishing Tours and Tubing! This is a great option to spend the day with family enjoying the beautiful nature the island provides. Guided tours provide lessons of the wild life as well as unique views you can only get from being on the water and one with nature.