Healthy Habits and Facts
It is important to realize that health can be broken down into a variety of categories including diet, exercise or physical activity, and mental health. Starting and maintaining healthy habits in these three categories will help you to begin living your best life. By no means will this article discuss everything you can do to become healthier, but it will sure give you a great start (or serve as a good reminder).
- Main food consumption should come from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Choose lean meats such as boneless, skinless chicken, and fish (if you eat meat)
- Avoid large meals before going to bed
- Take a walk to help boost your digestion and metabolism, after eating
- Choose water over other sugar-filled drinks
- Control consumption when you become satisfied instead of overindulging
- Regular weight-bearing exercise can help prevent osteoporosis by increasing bone strength
- Any exercise will help reduce stress and anxiety
- 10-minute workout sessions spread throughout the day are good
- The average adult should be getting at least 150 minutes of exercise per week
- Join a rec-league sporting team to get exercise and meet new people
- Beginning an exercise program will cause soreness
Be sure to consult your doctor before beginning an exercise program.
- Get a full eight hours of sleep every night
- Practice mind games such as puzzles
- Make time for friends and family to relax
- Take a vacation to escape the everyday routine
- Don’t be afraid to seek help and assistance
- Set goals and rewards for said goals
By starting some of the previous practices listed, you can help yourself to become healthier and stronger each and every day. We only have one life, live it as best as you can!
About the Author
DJ Johnson Manager, The Fitness Center
DJ was born and raised in Lakewood, New York. He graduated with honors in 2014 from Fredonia State University in Fredonia, NY with a bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science. He is currently an ACE certified personal trainer. One of DJ's passions is football. He considers himself to be the world’s biggest Green Bay Packer fan! He also loves hunting, fishing, and almost anything outdoors. DJ lives life to the fullest and wants people to remember: Don’t take life too seriously...no one gets out alive anyway.