Under South Carolina law, if a hurricane threatens Hilton Head Island, there will first be a Voluntary Evacuation Order issued by the Local Government. If the Governor issues a Mandatory Evacuation Order, you are required to leave the island immediately and will not be able to return until the storm has passed and local authorities allow re-entry to the island.
After the storm has passed and the Governor rescinds the Evacuation Order, call toll-free 800-963-5023 for re-entry information.
The Atlantic hurricane season is officially June 1st through November 30th. Please read and understand the Hurricane procedures and contact us if you have any questions.
We would like to ask that you review the following information in the event the Island is evacuated due to an approaching Hurricane.
- Please place all patio/deck furniture and unsecured items in the villa.
- Please close all draperies and blinds and lock all windows and doors upon departure.
When a storm is approaching the Island you should listen to radio stations WGCO 98.3 FM, WYKZ 98.7 FM, WLOW 107.9 FM or watch the Weather Channel on Channel 24 for emergency information and instructions.
- Beaufort County Hurricane Hotline: 800-963-5023
- Hilton Head Island Fire Department: 341-4720 or 911
- Beaufort County Sheriff: 785-3618 or 911
Hurricane Evacuation Tips
- Know where shelters are in your area
- Make sure your vehicle is fully fueled
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Portable, battery-operated radio and extra batteries
- First aid kit and manual
- Emergency food and water
- Essential Medicines
- Cash and credit cards
Call Public Information Phone Systems (PIPS) 800-256-8535 for shelter information. This number will be activated once the Governor has issued an evacuation order, voluntary or mandatory.
During a declared emergency, the South Carolina Department of transportation will activate a toll free number for traffic and road conditions. Call 1-888-877-9151 during these emergencies for the latest road information.
Hurricane Evacuation Route
Hilton Head Island evacuees will use both the William Hilton Parkway (US 278 Business) and the Cross Island Parkway toll facility (US 278).
As these two roads merge, a third lane will be formed by reversing flow on the inside eastbound lane of US 278. This lane will carry the traffic from the toll facility.
When US 278 reaches I-95, lane assignments will be as follows:
- The right lane on westbound US 278 will exit to I-95 northbound.
- The left lane on US 278 westbound will continue on US 278 to Hampton and eventually North Augusta
- The reversed lane will take SC 46 to US 321, then to SC 3 to SC 125 and onto North Augusta.
Should a third lane not be necessary, then both lanes on US 278 will be routed to I-95 with the right lane to I-95 north, then left lane continues on US 278.
Returning to Hilton Head Island after a Hurricane
Re-entry Hotline: (800) 963-5023
Check the local and state news sources for re-entering information. If the Island is open for re-entry, please call your property location for specific information regarding your unit.